Covid-19 Travel Requirements
Traveling to and from Tanzania during Covid-19
The information on this page will be updated periodically as requirements and protocols change. Date of last update: 13/May/2022. The information below summarizes the content of Travel Advisory No. 11 as of 8 Sep 2022
All full time Access 2 Tanzania safari guides have been vaccinated against Covid-19
Traveling to Tanzania
Tanzania requires filling out a Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form within 24 hours prior to arrival for travelers arriving from or transited through Uganda or the DRC. Follow this link: https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/. Once completed the traveler will receive a completion notification containing their Unique Health Code (UHC) which they will present upon arriving. If arriving directly onto Zanzibar, please use this link instead.
- Fully Vaccinated Travelers are exempt from both RT PCR and Rapid Antigen Test requirements. Travelers will be required to present a valid vaccination certificate with QR code for verification at initial departure airport and upon arrival. The only accepted vaccines are those which have been approved by the United Republic of Tanzania (URT) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- If your vaccine card does not have a QR code you can use a program such as VaxYes to get a digital version of your vaccination card with a QR code on your mobile device. This specific part of the regulation is not strictly adhered to.
- Not Fully Vaccinated, unvaccinated and those not eligible for vaccination due to their country policy will be required to present a negative Covid-19 PCR or NAATs certificate with QR code obtained within 72 hours before departure. Please be prepared to take a Rapid Antigen test ($10) upon arrival.
Your international airline may have pre-boarding testing requirements. Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. Most of our guests transfer/travel through Amsterdam and currently if you do not leave the airport (Schiphol) then there are no Covid testing requirements.
Traveling in Tanzania
While traveling in Tanzania, standard Covid-19 protocols (masking, social distancing, and sanitizing) will be adhered to by your guide and those working in the tourism industry, while in public settings, airports/airplanes, and the common areas of accommodations. All full time Access 2 Tanzania safari guides have been vaccinated against Covid-19.
Much of your time on safari will be socially distanced from other travelers and outside. However, if you plan to travel in a more populous area (city or town), we recommend being masked when social distancing cannot be maintained.
The government of Tanzania has no testing (or any other) requirements related to Covid for departing travelers. All departing travelers are advised to seek information prior to departure regarding COVID-19 requirements of their country of destination.
For travelers that need a PCR or Rapid Test in order to depart Tanzania, both tests are available. Please study the requirements of your final destination, airline and international airport(s) carefully. Covid-19 testing costs (PCR Test on Mainland Tanzania $50 pp / PCR Test on Zanzibar $80 pp / Rapid Test $10 pp) are the responsibility of the traveler. Facility fees may be applicable at some locations. As your tour operator, we will help coordinate proper test timing, location, and test payment.
Note for travelers returning to the United States:
As of 12:01AM ET on June 12, 2022, CDC will no longer require air passengers traveling from a foreign country to the United States to show a negative COVID-19 viral test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before they board their flight.
Rapid Test Procedures
- If you require a Rapid Test prior to boarding you need to arrive at your international airport of departure at least 3-4 hours prior to departure.
- All international airports (JRO, DAR and ZNZ) have Rapid Test capacity.
- Masks are required at testing sites
- Pre-registration is not required
- Payment of $10 can be made in cash on site
- Results are provided within 15 to 20 minutes of taking the test
- UPDATE: A negative COVID-19 test is not required for transiting passengers in Amsterdam (AMS) who do not leave the airport and whose connection time is within 1 day. However, it is strongly encouraged to use the Delta Discover Map to verify the entry requirements of your final destination, as your final destination may require you to have a negative COVID-19 test.